Friday, June 15, 2012

Finding A Home




Last August I permanently left my hometown, my best friend, and everything I ever knew and moved to the east coast for college. The hardest part of this move was being 837 miles away from my blood brother, Clare. It's rough to go from seeing someone everyday to not seeing them for months at a time. Thankfully I've been fortunate to see Clare every once in a while this past school year. In November she came to visit me in New York for Thanksgiving and her birthday; in January I was able to spend a few days with her in our hometown in Indiana; in March she happened to be back in the city for her uncle's wedding, which perfectly coincided with both my birthday and spring break; and finally in May I returned to Indiana for my brother's graduation and got to see her once more before I came back to New York for the summer. 

The transition from a home in the suburbs to an apartment in a city was at times exciting and others uncomfortable. I guess it would've been made easier if I still had family in Indiana, but now that we've all packed up and left, strangers inhabit in our old house, and nearly a year later, this situation still feels odd to me. Initially the move left me with a bit of an empty feeling, something I never expected to occur. This city has been my dream since I was 12, but landing and living in a brand new place was harder than I imagined. Over past year I really struggled with where I identified my home to be, but getting to see Clare in the two places I was essentially having to choose between showed me that home is where you're happy. This video is a collection of some of my happiest moments with Clare both here in New York and back in Indiana. Home is not a place, it's a feeling, and I'm glad to say that I've found it.


Song is the RAC Remix of Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

No comments:

Post a Comment